When & who?
Built on a combination of early academic research and personal frustration with the rigidity and complexity of traditional enterprise software, Mendix originated as a spin-off from the Technical University Delft and the Erasmus University of Rotterdam.
Today we are an ambitious, highly energetic and rapidly growing team of 75+ Mendixites. In only 5 years, Mendix has built a strong brand as an innovative, but proven and award-winning software company dedicated to revolutionizing the delivery of next-generation business applications. Mendix is venture capital backed but has been profitable since its conception, achieving annual triple-digit growth.
Why & how?
Vision: wouldn’t it be great if we could build new business apps, either stand-alone or on top of existing systems, without the need to manually write code or worry about buying and maintaining complex infrastructures?
Initially built on personal frustration with the rigidity of enterprise software and traditional development tools and techniques, we envisioned a world in which businesses could respond to new opportunities and changing business requirements without being limited by rigid existing systems or high-risk, lengthy custom development projects.
Today, this ambition still drives everything we do. More literally, we have translated this ambition into the following Mendix pillars:
- Speed: reduce time-to-market of new apps and business initiatives by at least 5x (naturally resulting in reduced cost and risk)
- Flexibility: respond to new insights and changing business requirements when needed (allowing rapid prototyping and agile development)
- Ease-of-use: simplify and reduce technical complexity in such a way that Business Analysts can do much of the work
These pillars translate into the Mendix Agile Business Platform™, to rapidly build better business applications that are easily integrated and adapted in any existing IT & business environment. Naturally, concepts such as agile development, model-driven development and rapid prototyping are at the heart of our product road-map and company philosophy.
We are a global company. We have office locations The Netherlands, United States of America, South Africa & United Kingdom.
We also have dedicated distributors in Thailand and the Middle-East, and implementation partners around the globe.
What’s in a name?
“to mend” (third-person singular simple present mends, present participle mending, simple past and past participle mended)
- To repair, as anything that is torn, broken, defaced, decayed, or the like.
- To alter for the better; to set right; to reform; hence, to quicken; as, to mend one’s manners or pace.
- To help, to advance, to further; to add to.
- To grow better; to advance to a better state; to become improved.
So through our name we refer to our capability to help you repair, advance and improve your business processes, operations and systems by increasing business agility and reducing time-to-market of new business initiatives.